I do not know anyone who predicted this course of events…

flattr this!

Several people have commented on the speech by Glenn Stevens (for international readers, Stevens is the Governor of Australia's central bank, the Reserve Bank of Australia) yes­ter­day in which he com­mented, inter alia, that:

I do not know any­one who pre­dicted this course of events. This should give us cause to reflect on how hard a job it is to make gen­uinely use­ful fore­casts. What we have seen is truly a ‘tail’ out­come – the kind of out­come that the rou­tine fore­cast­ing process never pre­dicts. But it has occurred, it has impli­ca­tions, and so we must reflect on it.”

As one mem­ber of this blog commented:

Has any­one heard Glenn Stevens ‘press club’ address yes­ter­day? he said in his open­ing remarks “… I do not know any­one in the world who has pre­dicted this eco­nomic crisis…”

Wow what arro­gance! I was flab­ber­gasted after read­ing this blog for the last cou­ple of years!! stunned!!

Indeed; but I’m not the only per­son who did pre­dict this crisis–other promi­nent com­men­ta­tors who warned about it include Nouriel Roubini and Peter Schiff. I hope there were plenty in the audi­ence who were think­ing “but,… but…” when they heard Stevens utter those words.

Of course, a cen­tral bank gov­er­nor can’t be expected to be brows­ing the web look­ing for com­men­taries all the time; there are other more seri­ous things to be done. But one would at least hope that some research was done before such a state­ment was made.

For the record:

1. I first pub­licly pre­dicted this course of events in Decem­ber 2005–albeit in the rather obscure spot of an inter­view on Perth radio (and then sub­se­quently the ABC Radio cur­rent affairs PM);
  2. I started pub­lish­ing my Debt­Watch Report in Novem­ber 2006 to make a stronger ana­lytic case in the pub­lic arena;
  3. The Cen­tre for Pol­icy Devel­op­ment pub­lished my report Deeper in Debt (click here for the PDF) in Sep­tem­ber 2007;
  4. As any reader of this blog knows, my argu­ment that we were likely to expe­ri­ence a severe eco­nomic down­turn as a con­se­quence of debt delever­ag­ing has been exten­sively reported in the Aus­tralian media; and
  5. My first aca­d­e­mic paper describ­ing the dynam­ics of debt defla­tion, and mod­el­ling Minsky’s Finan­cial Insta­bil­ity Hypoth­e­sis, was pub­lished in the aca­d­e­mic (but non-mainstream!) jour­nal the Jour­nal of Post Key­ne­sian Eco­nom­ics in 1995.

The lat­ter at least a Cen­tral Bank gov­er­nor could be expected to know about–were it not for the bifur­cated nature of eco­nom­ics, that the main­stream is dom­i­nated by the “Neo­clas­si­cal” school of thought, and this school com­pletely ignores other “Het­ero­dox” approaches to economics.

One might also hope that he reads the occa­sional news­pa­per, or watches the odd cur­rent affairs program.

Finally, and also for the pub­lic record, I wrote to the RBA on June 15 1998, offer­ing to present a sem­i­nar on the Finan­cial Insta­bil­ity Hypoth­e­sis. The offer was declined. The text of my let­ter is below:

Dr. Steve Keen

Depart­ment of Eco­nom­ics & Finance,

Uni­ver­sity of West­ern Syd­ney Macarthur

PO Box 555 Camp­bell­town NSW 2560

Email s.keen@uws.edu.au

WWW: http://btwebsh.macarthur.uws.edu.au/steveK/

Ph 61 2 4620 3016 Fax 4626 6683

The Sec­re­tary,

Reserve Bank of Australia,

Mar­tin Place Syd­ney NSW 2000

Dear Sir/Ms,

My col­league Trond Andresen and I would like to present two related papers to Reserve Bank research and pol­icy staff:

• A dynamic model of debt deflation
  • A model of stock mar­ket behav­iour with long-term cycles and panics

While the Aus­tralian dollar’s deval­u­a­tion has sup­planted direct con­cern about the Asian cri­sis and Wall Street’s mas­sive over-valuation, we believe that the issues high­lighted by these two mod­els are of sig­nif­i­cant medium term rel­e­vance to researchers and pol­icy mak­ers. We argue that the Asian cri­sis is a debt-deflationary process (over­laid with the impact of volatile flex­i­ble exchange rates), and that the even­tual crash on Wall Street may have sig­nif­i­cant impli­ca­tions for the US econ­omy, and hence the world.

The for­mer paper presents a model of cycli­cal growth with debt accu­mu­la­tion, price dynam­ics, an inflation-adjusted inter­est rate and a counter-cyclical gov­ern­ment sec­tor (two papers pre­sent­ing non-price pre­cur­sors to this model are enclosed). The lat­ter paper (copy enclosed) applies sys­tems engi­neer­ing con­cepts to pro­duce a behav­ioural model of stock­mar­ket cycles and crashes. It has not yet been pre­sented for publication.

I would be able to present my paper at any time, how­ever Mr Andresen (of the Nor­we­gian Insti­tute of Tech­nol­ogy) is a sab­bat­i­cal leave vis­i­tor who will leave Aus­tralia in late July and will only be avail­able between June 24th and July 10.

Yours sin­cerely,

Steve Keen

When I have the time to rum­mage through my paper files back at UWS, I will scan and pub­lish the RBA’s very brief reply here. I have for­got­ten who signed the let­ter; it will be inter­est­ing to see who it was.

I am a professional economist and a long time critic of conventional economic thought. As well as attacking mainstream thought in Debunking Economics, I am also developing an alternative dynamic approach to economic modelling. The key issue I am tackling here is the prospect for a debt-deflation on the back of the enormous debts accumulated in Australia, and our very low rate of inflation.

22 Responses to I do not know anyone who predicted this course of events…

1. el reapero says:

I can’t believe the way the media have let many elected lead­ers off the hook with the ‘it started in the US’ or ‘noone saw this com­ing’ lines.

loads of web­sites such as house­price­crash in the UK have been link­ing to peo­ple like you,Mish Shedlock,Karl Denninger,Ambrose Evans-Pritchard as well as the ven­er­a­ble Peter Schiff and Roubini.

It’s an out­ra­geous claim on their parts.Even worse,to get through this prob­lem we have the peo­ple who didn’t see it coming.

2. wisty says:

It’s not that econ­o­mists don’t believe in dynam­ics, it’s just that they don’t under­stand it. And aca­d­e­mics can get away with being just a lit­tle bit pas­sive aggres­sive in deal­ing with emerg­ing dis­sent­ing schools of thought.

3. rycoka says:

Steve,
    Sadly Mr Stevens com­ments don’t sur­prise me at all. An inquir­ing mind is not actu­ally a good qual­i­fi­ca­tion for a senior bureau­cratic posi­tion. A solid estab­lish­ment net­work and a track record of uncon­tro­ver­sial achieve­ment are more the “right stuff”.
    This is all good in a busi­ness as usual envi­ron­ment, how­ever, we are now out­side the bound­ary. We actu­ally need a group of very bright inde­pen­dent thinkers attack­ing this prob­lem (our cur­rent response smacks of clas­sic Rudd “me-tooism”).
    From what I can see Aus­tralia is in an absolutely unique posi­tion. Unlike the UK and the US we have not built our for­tune on finan­cial inno­va­tion. Cer­tainly we have ben­e­fited from it, and will need to take our med­i­cine as the house of cards falls. How­ever, we are still sit­ting on a gold­mine of com­mod­ity riches, and our social struc­tures (despite Howard’s efforts) remain pretty good. Per­son­ally, I think we are in a fab­u­lous posi­tion for the long term. What we need to be care­ful of is sell­ing our­selves short in the cri­sis mar­ket so that we fail to reap the longer term ben­e­fits. An impor­tant part of this is shak­ing off the “aspi­ra­tional” tag from the Howard years and get­ting back to the old val­ues of “wealth for toil” and a “fair go” for those who strug­gle.
    Real­is­ti­cally — Rudd needs to put together one of his “com­mit­tees” to deal with the cri­sis — and include plenty of inde­pen­dent, cre­ative thinkers (and pos­si­bly invite in peo­ple like Nouriel Roubini). At the same time he needs to guard against sell­ing the farm as under­val­ued assets go dirt cheap in a depressed mar­ket. This sort of thing may actu­ally require leg­is­la­tion com­bined with inter­na­tional diplomacy.

4. reason says:

I wrote an email to sev­eral friends 3 years ago warn­ing them. This was after read­ing peo­ple like Paul Krug­man http://www.americanprogress.org/events/2004/7/b593305ct754567.html , Steven Roach http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/2004/Economic-Armageddon23nov04.htm and hear­ing of con­cern from War­ren Buf­fet, George Soros, Paul Volker and Ken Henry! http://leapingrealeyes.blogspot.com/2005/10/amerikkka-sharecroppers-society.html
    Maybe we need lead­ers who use the web.

5. reason says:

Sorry,
    this excuse that the prob­lems were a chance event are just ludi­crous. Most of the peo­ple warn­ing of a cri­sis saw it as inevitable, only the tim­ing was uncer­tain. What can’t go on, won’t go on!

6. reason says:

rycoka
    I think Australia’s sit­u­a­tion is very com­pa­ra­ble to Canada’s.

7. Pingback: How the ‘Experts’ Missed the Crash: Philosophical Flaws, No Sense of History | Steve Keen's Oz Debtwatch

8. ken says:

It’s seman­tics, he doesn’t know any of these peo­ple, maybe he knows OF them, but that is dif­fer­ent. Maybe pol­i­tics is his next step.

9. Glenn Condell says:

Robert Schiller and Dean Baker are two US econ­o­mists who also got it right well in advance, but the ear­li­est I remem­ber see­ing was from F William Eng­dahl. I have a piece of his dated July 2004 — it’s called ‘Is a USA Eco­nomic col­lapse due in 2005?’ His tim­ing was a lit­tle out, but still.

He said then ‘The rise in home prices has been dri­ven by cheap inter­est rates and banks rush­ing to lend with aban­don. Because two semi-government agen­cies, the Fed­eral National Mort­gage Asso­ci­a­tion, known as Fan­nieMae, and the Gov­ern­ment National Mort­gage Asso­ci­a­tion, or Gin­nieMae buy up the bank‘s mort­gage con­tracts, tak­ing the risk from the local banks, so the local lend­ing bank has less pres­sure to guar­an­tee that he lends to low-risk credit-worthy fam­i­lies likely to repay the loan.

The US Con­gress has passed new laws mak­ing it even eas­ier for fam­i­lies to buy homes with no penny of their own money required ini­tially as „down pay­ment.“ This has meant a huge rise in mort­gage loans to eco­nom­i­cally mar­ginal or risky fam­i­lies. The num­ber of such risky or „sub-prime“ mort­gage loans has risen by 70% this year alone, and now makes up 18% of all US mortgages.’

I would also men­tion Nas­sim Taleb of Black Swan fame. He warned about Fanny Mae explic­itly in mid-2006.

A bit dis­turb­ing that an utterly non-economic per­son such as myself could have emailed one of my broth­ers in late 06 about the con­cerns I had after read­ing all these things, but Glenn Stevens was appar­ently inno­cent of any such knowledge.

In recent times I have found sev­eral sites very good on the melt­down, RGE Mon­i­tor of course being cri­sis cen­tral, and this one far and away the best I’ve seen in the SH. Oth­ers include:

Lon­don Banker:

Pru­dent Bear (Doug Noland’s col­umn):

And there are sev­eral good pieces by Soros and Krug­man in the New York Review of Books. The sci­ence web­site Edge has Nicholas Taleb’s acid com­men­tary of the inher­ent flaws in mar­kets gov­erned by prob­a­bil­ity mod­els, George Dyson’s unique his­tor­i­cal per­spec­tive, and just recently an attempt by a group of lead­ing sci­en­tists to grap­ple with the con­cept of a viable new model for finan­cial markets.

I’d be inter­ested Steve in your reac­tion to it (Taleb has already poured scorn on it, but you’d expect that from him):

Last, I hope you have a great Xmas and New Year Steve; if there was a Brown­low for eco­nom­ics, you’d be a moral for it, and Glenn Stevens would not.

10. reason says:

I used to work at the Reserve Bank and often joined Glenn Stevens in the Cafe­te­ria. He may not remem­ber it but he knows me. I don’t believe there were not peo­ple on his own staff with­out concerns.

11. reason says:

Another web­site that has long issued warn­ings:

12. iconoclast says:

Glen Stevens has pub­licly stated “I do not know any­one who pre­dicted this course of events.”, well then he should resign from his posi­tion, forth­with. He has been appointed not elected. He can give all man­ner of polit­i­cally palat­able rea­sons for his depar­ture, so as not to spook the mar­ket and allow the com­pe­tent to take the lead.

We don’t need peo­ple that were part of the prob­lem to steer us out of the prob­lem we now find our­selves in.

13. BrightSpark1 says:

If he did not know, he can not claim that it was not his duty to know.

He should resign and hand over to some­one who was aware of the peo­ple warn­ing of this fail­ure. Prefer­able some­one who under­stand the the­o­ries which lead to these pre­dic­tions, pre­dic­tions which are now proven to be accurate.

14. aboutime says:

Peter Costello knew over a year ago and was widely quoted in the MSM about the upcom­ing Finan­cial Tsunami. Glen Stevens and Peter Costello obvi­ously went out of their way to not know each other or each oth­ers advisors.

15. Otto C. says:

Robert R. Prechter in his book ‘Con­quer the Crash’ writ­ten in 2002 warned of the com­ing Defla­tion­ary Depres­sion of major pro­por­tions and stock mar­ket col­lapse. His ratio­nale for this con­clu­sion was a com­bi­na­tion of eco­nomic fun­da­men­tals, Elliot Wave The­ory and social behav­iour. I think he deserves at least a men­tion as a per­son who also made the pre­dic­tion, even though he was a few years too early.

Otto C.

16. iconoclast says:

about­time,

I think Peter Costello is attempt­ing to prac­tice his art of sophistry, in his attempt to pro­claim his for­tune telling skills.

Peter Costello used the term finan­cial tsunami in the con­text of when China reval­ues it’s cur­rency, and the finan­cial tsunami that would ensure as a result of such a cur­rency revaluation.

Peter Costello is in the same camp as is Glen Stevens; they both had and have no idea.

17. reason says:

I won­der if some Reserve Bank peo­ple read this blog?

18. Pingback: How the ‘Experts’ Missed the Crash: Philosophical Flaws, No Sense of History | Centre For Economic Stability

19. Pingback: How the ‘Experts’ Missed the Crash: Philosophical Flaws, No Sense of History | Centre For Economic Stability