Play the ball and not the man

flattr this!

The import of Ger­ard Henderson’s dia­tribe in today’s SMH is that the media has done a “soft” job on  my views, which have only gained noto­ri­ety because of the extreme pre­dic­tion I have made—about the forth­com­ing eco­nomic down­turn qual­i­fy­ing as not merely a reces­sion, but a Depres­sion. It seems I’ve only got atten­tion because of my extreme views, while the media has let the side down by doing a “tabloid” job only and not sub­ject­ing my views to scrutiny.

In fact, as many in the media know, I have gained atten­tion because of my Debt­watch Report, which will be two years old as of the next issue (No. 28, to be pub­lished in Novem­ber the day before the RBA meet­ing). The jour­nal­ists who have reported my views—including of course Kerry O’Brien, who gets spe­cial atten­tion from Ger­ard in his mockumentary—have read my analy­sis for two years now. I saw no sign of any atten­tion to the analy­sis behind my pre­dic­tions in Henderson’s piece—apart from pos­si­bly a “just in case” con­ces­sion towards the end where he noted that “His pre­dic­tions of a debt-induced decade-long depres­sion … may be correct.”

In that case, the com­men­ta­tor who deserves the appro­brium for “tabloid” jour­nal­ism is Hen­der­son him­self, and not the ABC nor the Daily Tele­graph, nor Sixty Min­utes. They, after all, read my research, have quizzed me exten­sively about it, and made the deci­sion based on inves­tiga­tive jour­nal­ism that my views deserved coverage.

For this, I applaud them—for stand­ing up for the prin­ci­ples of the Fourth Estate. Stan­dard eco­nomic com­men­tary has been dom­i­nated by the cheer­lead­ers for the poli­cies which have led to this cri­sis, while the author­i­ties them­selves and the aca­d­e­mic pro­fes­sion of eco­nom­ics itself have turned a blind eye to any argu­ments that ques­tioned the mantra in favour of dereg­u­lated finance.

I know this from exten­sive expe­ri­ence. I have made five appli­ca­tions for ARC fund­ing to inves­ti­gate the dynam­ics of debt-deflations and Depres­sions in the last ten years; all have been unsuc­cess­ful (includ­ing one time when I topped UWS researchers on the ARC’s then pub­lished ref­er­ees’ point scores, after which seven UWS researchers received funding—but I was not one of them).

I made a sub­mis­sion to the Wal­lis Com­mit­tee in July 1996, in which I warned that secu­ri­ti­sa­tion of loans could lead to a cri­sis exactly like the Sub­prime cri­sis that has now unfolded—and of course my com­ments were ignored.

I wrote to the RBA in June 1998 offer­ing to hold a sem­i­nar on the “Finan­cial Insta­bil­ity Hypoth­e­sis”, which is the foun­da­tion of my argu­ment that we are likely to expe­ri­ence a Great Depres­sion. The offer was declined.

As has often been said, offi­cial chan­nels are often clogged to make sure infor­ma­tion and crit­i­cism doesn’t get lis­tened to. When I saw the debt that Australia’s spec­u­la­tive bub­ble in real estate (and belat­edly shares) had got us into, I decided to turn to the jour­nal­is­tic pro­fes­sion to raise the alarm. To their credit, since I made a good case and the empir­i­cal evi­dence was com­pelling, jour­nal­ists lis­tened to me.

So Ger­ard, maybe you should do some inves­tiga­tive jour­nal­ism now too. Go to my blog www.debtdeflation.com/blogs, where you will find Debt­watch Reports going back to Novem­ber 2006, and aca­d­e­mic papers on debt defla­tion pub­lished as long ago as 1995 (maybe even read Debunk­ing Eco­nom­ics). And if you’d like to take a real risk and play the ball rather than the man, I’m more than will­ing to give a sem­i­nar on debt defla­tion at your Syd­ney Insti­tute.

Over to you.

I am a professional economist and a long time critic of conventional economic thought. As well as attacking mainstream thought in Debunking Economics, I am also developing an alternative dynamic approach to economic modelling. The key issue I am tackling here is the prospect for a debt-deflation on the back of the enormous debts accumulated in Australia, and our very low rate of inflation.

94 Responses to Play the ball and not the man

1. Bullturnedbear says:

Hi Steve,

Don’t take any of that crap per­son­ally. Just about every other econ­o­mist and ana­lyst that gets reported makes up some descrip­tion of what has hap­pened or what “is hap­pen­ing” after the event.

There is no ques­tion you have made your pre­dic­tions and put them on the pub­lic record. To date your pre­dic­tions are com­ing to pass. Time will tell if we go into depres­sion or not (I also believe we will).

Either way the rest of the ana­lysts will stay on safe ground and keep mak­ing up a poorly informed descrip­tion of what has already happened.

2. pete says:

It prob­a­bly doesn’t help that you have accused the median eco­nom­ics aca­d­e­mic of being math­e­mat­i­cally illit­er­ate, and unable to mas­ter dynamic sys­tems. It may or may not be a valid point, but it is bad politics.

On the other hand, the pub­lic is well aware that house prices are too high, and that new buy­ers are los­ing the abil­ity to pay higher (ver­sus share hous­ing, rent­ing, and other substitutes).

3. Mr_Clean says:

Steve, You have summed up the sit­u­a­tion per­fectly. Aus­tralia appears to have been “dumbed down” to such an extent that crit­i­cism of the party line in this coun­try is almost non exis­tent. I am a recent immi­grant to Oz and I have to say that I have been shocked at the almost bliss­ful igno­rance of the pop­u­la­tion. It seems that Oz is far from the ‘lucky coun­try” (what­ever that means) and more a stu­pid coun­try filled with (on the whole) stu­pid peo­ple. Strangely the Bris­bane Times (another Fair­fax rag) ran a story about Hans Redeker — head of for­eign exchange strat­egy at BNP Paribas, Europe’s biggest invest­ment bank, pre­dicted: “The Aussie is going down, big time.” His views pretty much echo yours. http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/articles/2008/10/19/1224351113115.html

4. Ken says:

It seems that eco­nom­ics is dif­fer­ent, any other area peo­ple make pre­dic­tions and then they are tested and if they don’t work, some­body had bet­ter find a bet­ter idea. I think any­one who has seen this unfold, from the era of debt is OK (I can remem­ber Git­tins writ­ing about how it was OK because there were a lot of oppor­tu­ni­ties out there) to the gov­ern­ment effec­tively prop­ping up banks in most of the west­ern world has not been overly impressed by econ­o­mists in gen­eral pre­dic­tions. Appar­ently now it is going to be a reces­sion but not a big one, except that the Chi­nese econ­omy that was going to drag us through this is now hav­ing their own prob­lems. Not unex­pected when their inter­est rates have been kept sim­i­lar to the infla­tion rate. Spec­u­la­tive con­struc­tion of fac­to­ries based on assump­tions of an expand­ing economy.

What I can see is that the finan­cial insta­bil­ity hypoth­e­sis does have a the­o­ret­i­cal foun­da­tion whereas stan­dard eco­nom­ics has some very dodgy assump­tions or “Equi­lib­rium, What Equi­lib­rium ?” to mis­quote the Super­tramp album. I wouldn’t want to believe if I had a huge mort­gage either. This is really the biggest case of denial ever. Not sur­pris­ing when may peo­ple are look­ing at their equity being totally wiped out.

5. BrightSpark says:

Hello Steve

What evi­dence has Hen­der­son pre­sented? what are his cre­den­tials? What does he know any­way.
    I am giv­ing up read­ing news­pa­pers, they used to be full of news with a small and well con­sid­ered edi­to­r­ial con­tent. Now they are full of edi­to­r­ial con­tent writ­ten by peo­ple who are bet­ter at writ­ing than research­ing a topic and have no par­tic­u­lar exper­tise on the top­ics on which they wax elo­quent. There is very lit­tle news and this is some­times buried in any case in igno­rant opinion.

One bias that these peo­ple have is to ignore bad news or pre­dic­tions. Hen­der­son may have seen and promptly for­got­ten your com­ments of 10 years ago because he did not like them and they would not have been attrac­tive to his readers.

Your attempts to gain fund­ing have been dealt with in the same igno­rant way. But is this not the cause of the bub­ble? and the cur­rent loom­ing dis­as­ter? Intel­li­gent con­sid­er­a­tion of a full range of opin­ions and reli­able data may have given a bet­ter result. Changes may have pre­vented the cur­rent dis­as­ter but instead “Reforms” have ensured its occurence and severity.

What is this “Syd­ney Insti­tute” any­way, I do not think that you should grace it with your presence.

6. Pingback: Steve Keen (UWS) vs. Gerard Henderson (SMH) - Corporate Engagement

7. Student says:

Arrgggh­h­h­h­hhh (bangs head on table repeat­edly). I have just been reminded as to why i am never more frus­trated in life then when i read the news­pa­per. The guy’s got no idea. Case in point — he men­tions how a reporter said we are in the worst ever finan­cial cri­sis and then dis­agrees with his rea­son­ing being that the 1930’s saw 30% unem­ploy­ment. Unem­ploy­ment is NOT direct evi­dence of a greater FINANCIAL cri­sis!
    I’m at the point that i cant even be both­ered get­ting worked up by the media any­more (well this was the last time anyway)Thanks good­ness for blogs hey

8. c says:

Steve:

Would you mind explain­ing how the US can expe­ri­ence defla­tion when the Fed’s bal­ance sheet has grown from US$800 bil­lion to $US1.3 tril­lion in a few months and expected to go to US$2.5 tril­lion by the mid­dle of next year.

You may also wan to explain how we could pos­si­bly expe­ri­ence defla­tion while the world’s major cen­tral banks are embark­ing on a huge mon­e­tary expansion.

9. Aac says:

Steve — Mikchael West of the Syd­ney Morn­ing Her­ald echo’s a lot of your views. He’s one of the very few jour­nal­ist in main stream media worth lis­ten­ing to; the rest as you rightly point out are cheer leaders.

Mr_Clean — you’re spot IMO regard­ing the dumb­ing down of Aus­tralian and the west­erm world in gen­eral — par­tic­u­larly in basic math­e­mat­ics; the Bub­ble Media has played a sig­nif­i­cant role towards that affect.

10. Grant says:

I agree with Mr_Cleans com­ments above. We’re turn­ing into a coun­try that just has Pavlov­ian responses to slogans.

I’ve really noticed over the last 2–3 years peo­ple can’t put together an argu­ment to back up their views. They think if they rat­tle off enough slo­gans at you that some­how jus­ti­fies their world view.

There is a big dif­fer­ent between putting for­ward a self con­sis­tent argu­ment and just arguing.

Sim­ply ask­ing peo­ple, “Why do you think that?” seems to bring them unstuck.

11. Foundation says:

Wow, how’s the pho­to­shop to make the Prof look like Mr EEEEvil himself?

That’s play­ing the man alright! Chuckle. Smells like some­body is wear­ing brown pants today, and I don’t think it’s Steve!

12. Pingback: Play the ball and not the man | Credit

13. kymbos says:

Steve,

As an prac­tic­ing micro-economist with sev­eral years expe­ri­ence, I hap­pened across your work about three months ago. Upon read­ing your research, I con­cluded that you had some very impor­tant points. While hop­ing that you over-stated your case slightly, I could not point to the fun­da­men­tal flaw in your argu­ment and sub­se­quently with­drew my invest­ments in the stock exchange. I’m very glad you did, and I thank you for your advice.

Hen­der­son is sim­ply play­ing the pol­i­tics of your eco­nom­ics. It’s not new, nor valid, and your rig­or­ous ana­lyt­i­cal work is of more value than Henderson’s bizarre claims of ABC bias.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work.

14. Terry says:

I have read many if not most of Mr Hen­der­sons columns for a num­ber of year’s and had up until now found his style of writ­ing, which usu­ally played the ball far more then the man to be fair and more often then not in my opin­ion to be bal­anced. Hen­der­son nearly always backs up his argue­ment with rel­a­tive quotes, facts and well sourced details that give his point of view nine times out of ten sub­stance and clarity.

In his dif­f­ence I would have to say he must have had a very bad day when he wrote this rub­bish, this per­sonal attack on you would be some­thing that Alan Jones and his ilk could only be proud of.

I take my hat of to you on your reply, it is every­thing that Hen­der­sons poorly writ­ten arti­cle is not.
    Mr Keen you have reacted as a scholar and a gen­tle­man would in this sit­u­a­tion and have made Hen­der­son look like a hys­ter­i­cal dill, which I never thought I’d see the day that would happen.

15. Pingback: Play the ball and not the man | Depression Knowledge Info Blog

16. LuckyGuy says:

Steve, I wouldn’t worry too much about your detrac­tors at this point in time. Nobody likes a Cas­san­dra, espe­cially when they’re cor­rect. The major dif­fer­ence between you and many other com­men­ta­tors is the strength of your data. I had the sheer luck to come across one of your arti­cles exactly one year ago, and while it was writ­ten objec­tively with­out all the dire pre­dic­tions and impas­sioned rhetoric one hears so much these days, it prompted me to do some more research and then scaed the bejeesus out of me. I imme­di­ately with­drew my fam­ilys sav­ings out of the share­mar­ket and have never regreeted that deci­sion. So, mat­ter what your detrac­tors say next, it may be com­fort­ing to know that you may have saved at least one Aus­tralian fam­ilys future (or at least Christmas).

17. Dave says:

I am not an econ­o­mist, nor do I pro­fess to be one, but where I am look­ing from Mr Keen seems to be on the ball. I am see­ing job lay off every­where and this is just the start. 30/40 per­cent drop in house prices — easy.

18. Big Game Hunter says:

Steve,

Great reply.

As a for­mer stu­dent of yours in your Ecomonic Thought & Method­ol­ogy classes at UWS I want to con­grat­u­late you for stick­ing to your guns.

Just know your work is appre­ci­ated by a lot of peo­ple out there who are well aware of the ‘dumb­ing down’ approach that fish & chips rags try too stuff down our faces.

Keep it up & good luck with your message!

19. NME says:

Amus­ing to see the hind­sight brigade out in full force, with their post-hoc ratio­nal­i­sa­tions of what went wrong. Where were they a year ago? Frater­nising with exec­u­tives of now defunct finan­cial insti­tu­tions and endors­ing the ben­e­fits of glob­al­i­sa­tion, dereg­u­la­tion and “finan­cial inno­va­tion”. They were wrong — Steve was right. A mid­dle age, slightly dorky (sorry Steve) aca­d­e­mic from the burbs. I bet that stings…

Of course Steve was not alone in his call. Steven Roach pro­duced an excel­lent weekly com­men­tary until he was ring­ing the alarm bell so loudly that Mor­gan Stan­ley had to ship him out to China to shut him up. Nouriel Roubini is another unglam­orous aca­d­e­mic who got it absolutely right. I can list another dozen peo­ple who not only fore­casted a cri­sis, but laid out the unfold­ing sequence of events in some detail and sup­ported by solid data. There is a huge dif­fer­ence between the two that clearly escapes Hen­der­son and his “stopped clock” argument.

The future is a blank slate and it is entirely pos­si­ble that Steve is wrong. But if track record counts for any­thing then he deserves to be heard out. Bet­ter late than never.

20. I think it is impor­tant when analysing what is going on to attempt to under­stand the vested inter­ests at play at the polit­i­cal, busi­ness and media levels.

The het­ero­gene­ity of report­ing of the cur­rent cri­sis by the media has picked up over the last week. News Ltd was very help­ful to the Gov­ern­ment soon after the stim­u­lus pack­age was announced — attempt­ing to cre­ate fear in FHBs with front page head­lines of pre­dic­tions of house price and rental increases (the stick to the FHOG carrot).

Then on the week­end two very frank arti­cles that house prices are falling and crit­i­cal of the FHOG increases.

Then the 60 min­utes story by another media company.

But over at yet another media com­pany, Kochie was chat­ting with his mate Kev (though I have to admit they were sur­pris­ingly frank the pre­vi­ous week — well, at least they allowed Louis Christopher’s frank assess­ment to come through.)

I sus­pect that media play­ers are strug­gling to come to terms with the new envi­ron­ment they con­front as the finan­cial world is restruc­tured. And all would like to be cosy with the PM — though some are not as cosy as others.

I like Ger­ard Henderson’s com­ment “Not unex­pect­edly, the Prime Min­is­ter made it known that he was not in the busi­ness of pro­vid­ing pre­dic­tions “about where house prices are going”.”

Ger­ard neglected to add that Mr Rudd’s reluc­tance to com­ment on the likely move­ment in house prices DID NOT STOP HIM FROM RECOMMENDING TO A YOUNG COUPLE THAT THEY SHOULD BUY A HOUSE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Hen­der­son has actu­ally paid Steve the high­est of com­pli­ments. Clearly he hasn’t both­ered him­self with con­duct­ing any research to make sub­stan­tive argu­ments — he’s just attacked his char­ac­ter. (It’s akin to a big­ger but less intel­li­gent child get­ting phys­i­cal when his intel­lec­tual short­com­ings have been “shown up”.)

Obvi­ously Steve is hav­ing a sig­nif­i­cant impact which some elites find threat­en­ing. And worse still — he’s the most dif­fi­cult threat to com­bat — he has no vested inter­est that they can attack. He’s sim­ply warn­ing peo­ple because his robust aca­d­e­mic research has led him to these con­clu­sions, and because he cares about the well­be­ing of his coun­try­men (unlike oth­ers who are con­cerned about power and wealth!)

Next week Ger­ard might like to per­son­ally attack Paul Barry for hav­ing the audac­ity to inform Aus­tralians about the Amer­i­can hous­ing cri­sis, and sug­gest par­al­lels to Aus­tralia. There’s even a Yale Pro­fes­sor — Robert Shiller — to “have a go at”. The ABC even showed an updated ver­sion recently!

21. Peter N says:

Bravo Steve Keen. Keep report­ing as you see it. Your views are not to the lik­ing of the vested inter­ests who want to keep ordi­nary folk dumbed down so that they can keep rip­ping them off.
    An exam­ple of the media’s mis­re­port­ing was last Sunday’s (19/10/08) Chan­nel 7 News @ 6.00pm where Jen­nifer Keyte’s first item was that Mr Rudd’s recent pol­icy announce­ments were hav­ing a pos­i­tive impact on Saturday’s auc­tion results. What a joke!

22. dyork says:

Well done! Since all pub­lic­ity is good pub­lic­ity, this nasty piece by an ex-teacher, journo and polit­i­cal hack is an acknowl­edg­ment that you and your views are ready for prime time.

Make the most of it! Nouriel Roubini has built a global rep­u­ta­tion on just two things: pre­dict­ing the worst, and being right!

We can really use some­one in that role here and I think you’re nom­i­nated. Keep up the writ­ing, com­ment on every­thing, be seen every­where and we’ll keep cheering.

The Keen Mon­i­tor has a ring to it!

23. Think of the pos­i­tives Steve –Gerard’s done you a big favour by bring­ing you to the atten­tion of a whole lot more people-like me-who have been search­ing for some san­ity from an econ­o­mist. When­ever I see Ger­ard on the attack about some­one, I know it’s bound to be some­one I should know about..and so it comes to pass. Great to find your site and will be mak­ing it required read­ing over the dark times to come.

24. James Haughton says:

Attack by the right-wing com­men­tariat is the sin­cer­est form of flattery.

25. James Haughton says:

Shorter Hen­der­son: I’m jeal­ous this man gets more media cov­er­age and has a nicer t-shirt than I do.